About Dr. Parks
Ron Parks, MD, is a consultant and specialist in Integrative Psychiatry and Holistic Medicine. His work includes teaching, writing, mentoring, and supervision from an integrative and holistic perspective.
Dr. Parks is the medical director and psychiatrist for the Center for Spiritual Emergence and Katharos Sanctuary in Asheville, NC – programs for the treatment of resistant depression and substance use disorders. He is a well-trained and a diversified physician, specialty-trained in psychiatry, internal medicine, nutrition, preventive medicine, and is Board Certified in Psychiatry. In the past, he has directed both inpatient and outpatient treatment programs. Dr. Parks is well respected for his talents and abilities in understanding and working with the most complex psychiatric and medical issues from an integrative and enlightened point of view.
Dr. Parks’ health interests began as a child growing up in rural Maryland. After developing a high fever and stiff neck, he was diagnosed with polio and rushed to City Hospital for Children. Dr. Parks was treated naturally with heated wet packs for over a month until his health returned. This illness and successful treatment gave me a deep respect for natural and alternative therapies.
Later in Dr. Parks’ childhood, he watched as his family grieved the loss of a family member to depression and addiction. As an adult, when his brother was struggling with diabetes and obesity, he realized that he had to find a better way to help people with impairing or threatening health issues. Dr. Parks’ search began to find better options and treatments for anyone suffering from mental and physical illness.
Dr. Parks felt blessed to have married his childhood sweetheart, who shares many of the same interests in health, nutrition, and community activities. His wife and son both assisted him in his practice throughout the years. Dr. Parks studied yoga, Buddhist Psychology, and macrobiotics as a young medical doctor and gained an appreciation for the holistic and spiritual qualities of proper healthcare.
The basis for Dr. Parks’ work with integrative psychiatry, medicine, and holistic therapies grew out of all these early life experiences. Although he has shifted from an office-based practice, he continues to teach, write actively, and consult with his interests in the integrative and holistic approach to health and well-being. Dr. Parks enjoys using his skills and talents in doing beneficial mentoring and consultations to help physical and emotional problems that have not responded to conventional or straightforward approaches.
Dr. Parks’ Experience and Training
- Trained in psychiatry, internal, family & preventive medicine, with further training in nutrition, and other natural healing arts
- His healing interests include mental, physical, spiritual health, holistic medicine, psychology, psychotherapy, yoga, nutrition, environmental medicine, and more.
- The mental health focus of his work includes depression, anxiety, mood swings, panic attacks, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, PTSD, addictions, ADHD, relationship and family dysfunction, and solutions.
- Dr. Parks continued to be an advocate for an integrative approach to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of physical and emotional problems. His efforts have always been to bridge the best of conventional Western medicine, and the innovative approaches of Integrative Medicine and Psychiatry, in his work with clients, in consultation and workshops.
Past positions and credentials include:
- Director and founder of Macro Health Medicine, a comprehensive and holistic consultative and treatment service. He specialized in integrative psychiatry, medicine, and holistic therapies, in Asheville, NC. Dr. Parks’ direct care services practice closed in 2014. He has continued to work in education, writing, consulting, and personal mentoring.
- M.D. from the University of Maryland
- Master’s Degree in Public Health & Health Service Research from UCLA
- Specialty trained in Internal Medicine at George Washington University, Preventive Medicine at UCLA, and Psychiatry at the University of Maryland
- Past Assistant Professor at The Albany & University of Miami Medical Schools and Chief of Internal Medicine at the Homestead Air Force Base Hospital in Florida
- Former Director of the Center for Preventive and Nutritional Health Care in Baltimore, MD
- Former consultant and part-time physician at the JFK-ADATC drug and alcohol treatment center in Black Mountain, NC,
- Current Medical director at the Center for Spiritual Emergence and Katharos Sanctuary (a facility for treatment of resistant mood and substance use disorders)
- Trained as a yoga teacher and in nutrition
- Avid swimmer and advocate of an active, healthy lifestyle